For all upgrade details, see the Upgrade FAQ and the Revision History.
New Library Modules:
- James Nisbet's Church Pulpit Commentary [Commentary module: Nisbet] (12 Vols, 1908)
- Handfuls on Purpose [Book module: Handfuls] (James Smith and Robert Lee, 13 volumes, 1943)
- The Essential Works of A. W. Tozer [Book module: AWTozer]
(Nine books from the life and ministry of A. W. Tozer, 1897-1963)
One combined SwordSearcher book module:
- Christ, The Eternal Son
- Jesus is Victor
- Jesus, Author of Our Faith
- Jesus, Our Man in Glory
- Knowledge of the Holy
- Man, The Dwelling Place of God
- That Incredible Christian
- The Pursuit of God
- The Root of the Righteous
New and enhanced Audio Bible Support:
- SwordSearcher has supported the integration of an audio Bible for several years, but this functionality has been significantly enhanced for SwordSearcher 8.3.
- The following Audio Bibles are now supported with verse-level synchronization and playback and can be directly played from the Bible panel and Verse List panels:
- Alexander Scourby, KJV, AMG Publishers.
- Alexander Scourby, KJV, Hendrickson Publishers.
- Alexander Scourby, KJV, Scourby.com (non-dramatized mp3 edition only)
- Max McLean's Listener's Bible, KJV, Fellowship for Performing Arts.
- David Cochran Heath, KJV, ChristianAudio.
- Paul Mims, KJV, AudioBible.com.
- Dan Wagner, KJV, Talking Bibles International.
- Faith Comes By Hearing Dramatized KJV.
- Stephen Johnson, KJV, Firefighters.org.
- Note that SwordSearcher does not come with an audio Bible. You may integrate any of the above audio Bibles into SwordSearcher once you have obtained them from their publishers or retailers. Please see the audio Bible information page for a complete list of supported audio Bibles and where you can obtain them.
- You may now configure an unlimited number of audio Bibles at the same time. Switching between integrated audio Bibles is easy and done with a simple selection in a list.
- Audio playback speed can be adjusted to make it slower or faster based on listening preference.
- The core audio system has been replaced and updated to work with a wider variety of source audio files.
- Audio Bible configuration/selection is accessible on the main File menu or with Shift+Ctrl+A keyboard shortcut.
Many additional optimizations and fixes. See the full revision history for detail.
- Joseph Sutcliffe's Commentary on the Old and New Testaments (1835) [Commentary module: Sutcliffe]
- Reviving the Blessed Hope of Thessalonians (by Douglas Stauffer and Andrew Ray, 2016) [Book module: StauRBHT] A book-form commentary on 1st and 2nd Thessalonians. Includes 17 charts.
- When the End Begins (by Douglas Stauffer and Andrew Ray, 2017) [Book module: StauWTEB] A book-form commentary on Matthew chapters 24 and 25. Includes 60 charts.
Major new features:
- Bible Word Trees:
- Bible Word Trees show fascinating connections between words and phrases in the Bible.
- The Word Tree is a visualization tool (like the Word Cloud Generator) designed to help you see Bible search results in a very different way.
- See groupings of the sentences and phrases flowing into and out of a word or phrase across the whole Bible or just chapters or books.
- Connections between words and phrases can suddenly become obvious where they can be hard to spot in a conventional list of verses.
- Fully interactive. Fast.
- Integrated: load conventional verse lists and search results based on the word trees for further study.
- See dozens of word tree previews for any portion of Scripture, like a chapter or book, to get ideas for additional exploration, or just to get a new birds-eye view of a passage.
- Live verse tagging in the user module entry editor:
- It is no longer necessary to save the text you are editing to see what will be automatically linked as a verse reference.
- As you type, the editor will "live tag" any text that is recognized as a verse reference so you can see immediately what will be linked and it will instantly respond to any changes you make.
- You can hold your mouse pointer over the live tag to see the text in a pop-up preview to verify it is what you intended.
- Additional options when right-clicking a live-tagged reference in the editor.
- Also added a handy keyboard shortcut for power users to insert a "contextual reference" at the caret position (Ctrl+R):
- This inserts the book and chapter from the most recent verse reference recognized up to the caret position.
- This is just a convenience keyboard shortcut to avoid the need to re-type book and chapter repeatedly when making a series of references broken up by other text.
- Full-library Search Results display has been redesigned:
- The layout of library search result previews has been improved.
- More previews of matching text inside of entries are visible without taking up much more space.
- Match previews also indicate how many individual matches there are in each entry, in addition to each module, so it is more obvious when an entry has multiple matches beyond what is visible in the preview.
- Significant performance improvements.
- Many additional optimizations and fixes. See the full revision history for detail.
- By popular request, library tabs no longer change position to force the active tab to appear on the bottom row of tabs. (This is optional in preferences.)
- New StudyClick function: Ctrl-Clicking a module link (like from the Bible margin) loads the module entry in a clone panel instead of the main library panels.
- Added full support for Windows "High Contrast" mode:
Windows High Contrast Mode Support
- The optional High Contrast setting in Windows 8 and 10 is an easy system-wide toggle (left Alt + left Shift + PrintScreen) that changes the way applications appear when you need to have less color or a black background. It's a good option for those late nights when your monitor is shining too brightly in your eyes. SwordSearcher now supports this display mode 100%! Please see Microsoft's documentation on High Contrast Mode for more details on using this accessibility mode in Windows.
- Added "+/-" buttons to Commentary and Book panels that appear when there are match highlights in the text, from Verse Guide, Topic Guide, and Library Searches.
- The following have been updated with corrections:
- TSK and KJV-TSK
- Web1913 (Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary 1913)
- ISBE (International Standard Bible Encyclopedia)
- Rebuilt from a new source text incorporating thousands of corrections and formatting improvements.
- Some missing entries have been restored.
- Greek and Hebrew text from the original work is now included.
- Significant improvements to verse linking.
- SGreek and SHebrew dictionaries
- SRV, SRVSL updated to Jan 2017 text.
- Added search results Verse List right-click popup menu copy option: Copy selected text including highlighting. Use this when you want to include the bold/background formatting of the matches in the text.
- Editor font list most-recently-used persists between editor loads in the same SwordSearcher session.
- Various enhancements to the following SwordSearcher features and tools:
- Verse reference recognition.
- Scan Text for Verse References tool.
- Printer Page Setup (File menu).
- High-DPI and Multi-DPI support improvements.
- Bible Search Result Information and Statistics window.
- Main search bar.
- Bookmark system.
- Forward/Back navigation handling.
- Clone panel scroll position.
- Many additional optimizations and bug fixes. More details can be read here.
Watch the video! (6:51)
- KJV-TSK: The King James Bible with integrated in-line cross-references from the Treasury of Scripture Knowledge.
- The extremely useful Treasury of Scripture Knowledge (expanded, with over 800,000 cross-references) is now available in an integrated form in this new Bible panel tab.
- Hundreds of thousands of cross-references are now presented in-line from notation in the Bible text. It is no longer necessary to go to a separate commentary panel to use the cross-references.
- Hold your mouse over the notation to preview cross-referenced verses, and click to open them in a verse list panel.
- No commentary text here, just Scripture-with-Scripture!
- In addition to cross-references attached to specific words in the verse, there are general cross-references for verses linked at the end of the verse text, and reciprocal references which link from other verses to the presently viewed text.
- Of course, the TSK commentary module is still included for when you wish to access the supplementary content.
- KJV-TSK verse list display options can be configured in Preferences. (If you are using Module Sets to control your visible tabs, be sure to add the KJV-TSK to your favorites!)
- Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary 1913 [Web1913]
- A very complete dictionary from the early 20th century. This digital edition organizes identical headwords under a single entry. Not counting plurals or multiple word forms, there are over 120,000 words defined in over 98,000 entries, with over 48,000 cross-linked entries and over 4,300 linked references to Scripture.
- This does not replace the 1828 Wester's module -- both are included.
- Integrated Bar Graph for Bible search result verse lists.
- A time-saving visual indication of the frequency of results across the entire Bible, so you can immediately see where the most matches are.
- Each bar in the graph also functions as a shortcut to the first match in its book.
- Concordance View mode for Bible search results in Verse List Panels:
- This is an optional display mode for Bible search results.
- Displays your search results in a "concordance-style" match-per-line format, optionally including verse widgets.
- All matches are displayed in a single page with no load or scroll lag, even for tens of thousands of matches.
- Each match is shown on its own line, which can help clarify match counts for complex searches with overlapping match points in the same verse.
- There is now a Concordance View Mode toggle button on the Verse List Panel toolbar to let you switch between Full View and Concordance View. You can change the default view mode in Preferences.
- New KJVSL (and SRVSL) layout: Reverse interlinear.
- Displays Strong's links under text, rather than in-line.
- If you wish, you can switch back to in-line mode in Preferences.
- Comprehensive support for high-DPI and 4K+ displays.
- Ultra-crisp text and icons at any resolution, especially on newer high-end computers with super-high resolution displays.
- Complete support for Windows 10 desktop display scaling at any level.
- Multi-monitor systems with different scaling levels per monitor are also supported.
- Assign your own hotkeys to your favorite modules with custom module shortcuts.
- Brings the module to focus with a keyboard shortcut of your choice.
- Selects the module whereever it "makes sense," like module selection menus and search windows.
- The Main Search Bar will now automatically accept keyboard input when appropriate. In most cases you do not need to select the search bar to start typing a verse or search.
- KJV module enhancements:
- Hyphenation of compound proper nouns (e.g. Hazezon-tamar) is now included.
- These are not pronunciation marks, but are compound joiners present in Common Cambridge Text printings without pronunciation marks.
- You can still text search either way-- this is a purely visual change to more closely follow printed Bibles.
- This is optional. If you prefer not to see the hyphens, you can disable display of the hyphenation under File, Preferences, Bible and Verse Panels - Additional Options, Optional Hyphenation.
- Marginal notes (footnotes in the Bible panel) have been improved:
- The text of the marginal notes has been conformed to the Common Cambridge Text printings circa 1900; specifically, the circa 1924 Cambridge Cameo editions.
- Footnote placement is now in-line with the attached words.
- As in previous versions of SwordSearcher, footnotes are optional and can be hidden or shown with the Toggle Footnotes toolbar button.
- Bible panel with footnotes and compare mode: if the columns are from the same base module (e.g. KJV and KJV-TSK), the footnote markers are reused in the compare column, and the text in the margin is not duplicated.
- Added configuration option: File, Preferences, Misc. Options, KJV Version Tag for Export.
- Allows you to change the version tag for copy/export functions of the KJV module. Works in conjunction with the "include version tag" option in Edit, Configure Copy/Export Formatting. You can choose from KJV, KJB, and AV.
- User module editor window:
- Additional formatting options on the editor toolbar.
- Added Special Characters to the Insert menu, for selecting various non-keyboard characters.
- Improvements to live spell-check.
- Redesigned Insert menu dialogs.
- Redesigned Verse List Panel toolbar for easier/faster access to its features.
- Added Bar Graph toggle and Concordance View toggle (for search results).
- Margin area toggle added to Verse List Panel toolbar, which when invoked, automatically duplicates the margin settings from the main Bible panel.
- Individual margin options can still be toggled.
- Complete re-design of the settings window (File, Preferences and Settings). Settings options are easier to locate and browse, and more logically grouped.
- New Web1828 (Webster 1828 Dictionary) module:
- Single-volume module replaces prior WebsterAJ and WebsterKZ modules.
- Any links to previous volumes are automatically forwarded to new module.
- Various improvements.
- Improvements to Strong's lexicon modules
- Many corrections to definition content and better transliterations.
- Added parts of speech after definition.
- Added shortcut link in heading to search KJV (as well as KJVSL) for the Strong's number. (KJVSL includes Strong's links in the display of the search results, whereas KJV only includes the English.)
- Some corrections to Strong's tagging in KJVSL.
- For non-Bible-search verse lists, a border is drawn between verses that are non-sequential.
- New application-wide module selection drop-down menus make it easier to quickly find and choose modules in search windows, settings windows, etc. These selection menus also support the new user-defined module keyboard shortcuts.
- Added "1:1" and "fill" buttons to Image Viewer.
- Global zoom setting now also applies to the Topic Guide, Verse Guide panel, and Library Search Results module list as well as the main text panels.
- Added a "Share" function to the Bible, Book, Commentary, and Verse List right-click menus. Invokes the Windows sharing tool for the selected text. Windows 10 only.
- Improvements to English Strong's Indexer content.
- Improvements to "best matching" algorithm for dictionary lookups (StudyClick, etc.)
- Improved display of context preview popups make it easier to quickly locate the linked verse.
- Lots of new keyboard shortcuts; see help file for complete list.
- Cosmetic improvements.
- Guard against problems loading modules that have been damaged/corrupted.
- Numerous additional minor improvements and bug fixes throughout.
Current users click here for upgrade info.
Not yet a SwordSearcher user? Order here.
See what's new from previous releases here.